Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dashing and Double Taps

Projects have been coming along the past few weeks until yesterday when I started and finished the basic working bits of a new project. I made a dashing system. It is somewhat similar to dashing and dodging found on SL already in other combat systems, so it's not an original idea.

I started doing this to finally figure out how to detect double taps without needing to use complicated timers. Currently, I have the double tap detection function with a maximum of a half second delay between button pushes. Originally I had it at two-tenths of a second, but after handing a test version to someone it was apparent that would be a bit too fast for some people. I may, or may not add a customizable option for the delay speed so people can set their own preference.

The only thing it truly needs right now is a limit. Right now it can be used infinitely which—although it's really fun!—is not exactly fair and balanced for use in certain combat systems.

It works in mouselook mode and the default third person camera mode, but it is designed with the mouselook mode user in mind. Dashes are done on a horizontal plane while on the ground, but if the person using it is in the air then they can dash at any angle. This seems like it could be a lot of fun for sword- and gun-play.

Not only do I plan to include this with my swords (when I finally finish making animations—ugh!), but I am going to package it with any guns I make. There is a chance it will be added to the Ninja HUD, but I'm somewhat worried about including it in something that does not attach to a standard weapon spot such as the Right Hand attachment spot for most swords and guns. The reason behind this is that it could be misused as a sort of cheat while sparring with any combat system that has a similar dash or dodge capability. I tested with one of my C:SI swords and sometimes would get a C:SI dash and sometimes my own and sometimes both. It would be pretty obvious if someone was using this in combat: the sound is different and the movement speed is different, as well as the distance traveled (I think).

I have a few more ideas that I may try to get working if I can figure out the mathematics involved. Math is by no means my area of expertise. I'm more into classical rhetoric than crazy math. The ideas I have that I want to do are definitely beyond my current understanding and I don't know if there will be an easy way to cheat through it by guesswork. Then again, while I worked on the dash script I was nearly pulling my hair out from attempting something so overly-complicated and unnecessary when there was a much, much simpler way to approach the whole thing.

Actually, now that I've typed all that mess about not being able to figure out how to do what I want I think I have a half-baked idea on how to do it. I'll have to try later tonight.

On a side note, some of the gadgets from the Ninja HUD will be available for sale singly, possibly with more features and options. Namely, the Water Walking gadget and Smoke Bomb Escape will be made separately.

I think I will make a double tap detection template script for my LSLWiki page.

No comments: